Written by Laurine Guelfucci
Two of my favourite performances of the year are being rewarded with Emmy nominations — two performances by two actresses finally being praised for their talent: Rhea Seehorn (Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series) and Karolina Wydra (Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series) for Pluribus.
Seehorn portrays Carol Sturka, the show's protagonist, a renowned and beloved writer who just lost everything to an alien virus and who is determined to save the world. Carol is one of the 13 people on Earth who weren’t impacted by the aforementioned virus that turned the rest of the world population into a global hivemind. The actress, who already worked with Vince Gilligan — the mind behind Pluribus — on Better Call Saul (2015-2022), the Breaking Bad (2008-1012) prequel, comes back for a role specifically written for her. A dream for any actor or comedian.
Seehorn does justice to this incredibly well-written character with a breathtaking interpretation which feels simultaneously moving and powerful. There are many actresses who I admire, but I’m rarely blown away like I was when watching her. If we’re only talking television, she’s definitely up there in my Top 3 with Vera Farmiga as Norma Bates (Bates Motel, 2013-2017) and Olivia Colman as Ellie Miller (Broadchurch, 2013-2017). Seehorn's ability to abandon herself to Carol, to embody her so effectively and capture all her emotions so vulnerably, whether through dramatic gestures or micro expressions, is so impressive.
Carol is a character who will be remembered for a long time, especially by the LGBTQIA+ community, as she is a lesbian and the main character in a television show for a major network. While her sexual orientation isn't the main subject of the show, her experience as a lesbian, her fear of being outed to the public, and her deep trauma linked to homophobia and conversion camps are key to understanding her — and, unfortunately, experiences that a lot of people can relate to. I love that Rhea is very protective of that part of Carol's story; she’s incredibly considerate and such a great ally! I really love it when someone has it all: beauty, brains, and talent. I might be a little jealous, actually... but let’s circle back to Carol, because there's much more to talk about!
She’s a grumpy alcoholic who is depressed, scared, bitter, and, above all, angry... but who wouldn’t be in her situation? In the span of a couple of hours, her world has been turned upside down. Everyone around her collapsed and became one; her wife died in her arms, and she has been left alone. Literally. She had to learn to live with this immense weight of loneliness and grief, and despite all that, there is still a resilient, soft, and sweet side to her, because beneath all her bitterness, she actually longs for love. Ultimately, Carol is one of the most deeply authentic and human characters, but I think people are afraid of seeing their own flaws on television, which could explain why they don't really like her.
And yet, there’s also warmth and tenderness to be found in her relationships with others, especially in the duo she’s forming with her chaperone, Zosia (Wydra, who successfully delivers an outstanding performance), which is nothing short of chemistry and honest affection. But the hivemind sending her to monitor Carol was particularly manipulative because, after all, Zosia is Carol’s "ideal" or even "fantasy" based on Raban, the character she created in her book — making their relationship even more significant.
Not being able to react much to Seehorn’s desperation and having to keep a warm but oddly neutral smile most of the time must not have been an easy task, and I can only applaud Wydra for that. She has the impressive ability to move seamlessly between her character’s unsettling, manipulative attitude and the empathy and charm that occasionally shine through, giving us glimpses of who Zosia was beneath it all. It's her performance, combined with some excellent directing, that guides the audience to believe the hivemind genuinely wants what's best for Carol, rather than simply trying to infect her like something out of a zombie apocalypse.
Zosia is witty and intelligent, qualities that are most certainly shared with the actress who portrays her. And this is probably one of the reasons why she got along so well with Seehorn, as they both seem to have those traits. Although their onscreen relationship is [highly] toxic, it is still irresistible and addicting, making them one of the most memorable pairings I have seen in recent years.
Watching them together is so special; not only do they have insane chemistry, as I said before, but they’re also complementary, and the respect they both have for each other and their work really bleeds through the screen, and it makes a difference. I genuinely believe they should win their respective Emmys — it would be well earned, because we’re witnessing a real masterclass in acting and perseverance from both of them.
A lot of actors may never have the chance to showcase their full range to the world and have the career they dreamed of and worked hard for; a lot of us aspiring actors struggle with this idea, while others seem to have it easier... I've been trying to get acting jobs myself for over a decade, working two different jobs and going to theatre classes in the evenings. I found an agent, had auditions, and landed several roles. I had fun on set, met fascinating people, and tried my best to stay in contact with casting directors, directors, and fellow actors, but it's hard to keep track — I even wrote a 115-page script in hopes of starring in my own movie. But the truth is, it is an unfair business, and it has a big impact on your mental health and self-worth, especially when it becomes more of a side hobby because your necessary daytime job requires time and a lot of energy.
Artists like Rhea Seehorn and Karolina Wydra are precisely what makes this job appealing to me, and I aspire to be as good, passionate, and committed as they are. They are living proof that if you keep working, keep trying, and keep believing in yourself, you might get an Emmy nomination one day.
For Seehorn, an Emmy win would not only make up for being snubbed for her performance as Kim Wexler in Better Call Saul, but it would also reward her undeniable dedication and immense talent.
For Wydra, it would be even more emotionally charged. To me, she might be this year's revelation — a long-awaited role and potential award for such an underrated actress, whose name should be on every director's lips after this triumphant return.
"I didn’t have an agent or a manager, and I was a stay-at-home mom for quite a while, and I didn’t even know how I would get back into acting [...] I got the audition out of nowhere… I can’t believe, first of all, that I got the role with Vince, and I got to work with Vince and Rhea and this incredible cast and everyone that’s worked on Pluribus and now this [nomination]. It truly feels like I’m living in the dream," Wydra said to Deadline.
In addition to their talent, it would be especially gratifying to see them awarded for roles that are their own and not defined by their relationship to another character. I hate to bring up a woman's age, but seeing them, both around fifty years old, nominated for characters who aren't mothers, a man's wife, or whose only purpose is to be someone's sidekick or love interest feels great. I could totally see this as the beginning of the second part of their careers and the promise of more incredible roles to come in the years ahead.
Remarkable performances, raw talent, and long-overdue recognition: Pluribus, Vince Gilligan, and his brilliant team gave two actresses their lifetime roles, and we can only thank them for that and hope to see more of them in the years to come.
In a sea of great actors, including the rest of the Pluribus cast, and amazing television shows, Seehorn and Wydra both stand out as an inextricably linked duo, giving us a much-needed breath of fresh air.
Ultimately, their nominations are incredibly meaningful, because they aren't simply being recognized for being part of an acclaimed show; they are being recognized because they made these characters impossible to forget.
The final-round voting will end on August 26th at 10 p.m. The Creative Arts Emmy Awards will take place on September 5th and 6th, followed by the Primetime telecast on September 14th at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT.

Comments
Post a Comment